Vaadin 14 uses Vaadin Flow. Vaadin Flow is a web framework that allows you to write UI 100% in Java (Kotlin) without getting bogged down in JS, HTML, and CSS. If you prefer, you can also create layouts in HTML or with a visual designer. Your apps run on the server and handle all communication automatically and securely. Building on the strong Java ecosystem, Flow works with your favorite IDEs, tools, and libraries.
When you are not familiar with Vaadin-on-Kotlin (or VoK for short), start here:
- Creating UIs explains how to compose your UI out of visual components such as Buttons and TextFields
- Creating Forms walks you through the forms - how to create UI for them and how to validate the data.
- Navigating allows you to create multiple pages and explains how to navigate between them.
- Using Grids shows best practices on how to display a lazy-loaded tabular list of data.
- DSLs: Explained explains how exactly VoK takes advantage of the DSL Kotlin language feature.
Continue reading here to understand how exactly VoK accesses the database.
- The Accessing Databases Guide
- The Accessing NoSQL or REST data sources for displaying data from a NoSQL database, or a REST service endpoint.
- Writing services to place your business logic in
Security is an important part of any web-based application. Please check the following resources for more information:
- The vok-security module description.
You can target broader audience if you offer your app in multiple languages.
- The Translating Your App Guide.